Well guys thanksgiving is clucking near so we need to plan. All this week we will talk Food and DIY projects. Let’s start with a Fat Free Pumpkin Spice Cake. With this Fat Free Pumpkin Spice Cake recipe, we save both fat and sugar calories. The main binding ingredient is egg whites and canned pumpkin, and the sugar is just 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar for the entire recipe. This recipe requires no frosting (just a dusting of sugar will do) and it travels well, so take it to work parties, family dinners and holiday events.
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 12 to 14 large egg whites (1 2/3 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 16-ounce can (1 cup) solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin-pie mix)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, with fork, mix flour, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and 1 cup confectioners’ sugar; set aside.
- In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form; beat in vanilla.
- Beating at high speed, sprinkle in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and whites stand in stiff peaks.
- Remove 1 cup beaten egg-white mixture to medium bowl; fold in pumpkin.
- With rubber spatula or wire whisk, fold flour mixture into beaten egg whites in large bowl just until flour disappears.
- Then, gently fold in pumpkin mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Invert cake in pan on funnel or bottle; cool completely in pan. Loosen cake from pan; place on cake plate. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
Have the time of you’re life this Thanksgiving. Let’s say it will have less calories!